Thursday, July 2, 2015

AFRICAN GIRL, PART 4



After working on the arm and back a little, I darkened the overall tone of the whole work using more layers of graphite. When I felt that I had reached a balance, I signed then photographed the drawing. Unfortunately I couldn't get a decent pic of this one, I'll try again with different lighting and another camera. The thing that bothered me the most with the photo was that I lost a lot of the deeper tones while lightening it - also a lot of texture came through although it isn't that way in reality. Still, I'm happy with the original. I used the same 2B pencil throughout the whole work, perhaps not the best way to go but with the paper I was using, I felt that it was necessary as using a harder lead kept it from being too textured overall. I'm not sure where to go next with this one, perhaps this drawing will lead to a study in watercolor or oil, I'll have to give it a few weeks and see. Finally I would like to thank Paco for helping with the reference for this one. Size is 12" x 11", graphite on Canson paper.

3 comments:

john said...

A job well done. I share your frustration with the challenge of getting accurate photos of artwork. The camera lens sees and interprets reality in much different ways than the human eye. Strange things happen to your work when it is reproduced.
I guess we artists need to learn to become master photographers as well so that we can get better photos of our own artwork.

Unknown said...

Man Jeremy, I really love how this turned out and I too share the frustrations of photographing my work. Whoever ends up owning this piece will be lucky indeed!

Jeremy Pearse said...

Thanks John and Vernon for your comments, I am getting better at photographing my artwork but I'm not there yet. I'll re-post a better pic when I can.