Saturday, July 16, 2022

FLEET STREET ROOFTOP

 



When walking around I often look up to see if I am missing anything interesting above me, and having a love for architectural details, quickly decided to do a painting of this rooftop when I saw it. I heavily edited the actual scene (as I do with most of my paintings), keeping the elements that excited me the most and discarding those that didn't. Mostly this scene first attracted me by the overall shape against the sky, then I saw the effect of the light and shadows and thought it would make an interesting painting. I used acrylic paint for this one (as I have for most of this urban series) but laid it on in the same manner I do with my watercolors - ie, with many washes slowly building up the tones and color until I got to the intensity I wanted. I think the effect of the bright sunshine came through as I had intended and am pleased with the finished work. Size is 15 x 11 inches, acrylic on Strathmore paper.

No comments: