Sunday, August 15, 2021

CHURCH CANDLE

 



Touring Germany a few years ago, we walked into an ancient church in a quiet town street. It was dim inside with a rare kind of peacefulness that is hard to find. Darkened and shadowed corners held mysteries I was unable to decipher - other features of the interior were hazy and now just a blur in my memory. But this single candle burning near the alter seemed to sum up the whole experience of my visit. Looking carefully, I took note of the tall slim flame and the translucency of the candle. And how melted wax had pooled around the iron base. The small reflected highlights. All that I have left now is this painting which serves as a reminder of that day. I wished I had had more time to explore and discover other wonders there but for now, this will have to suffice. Size is 11" x 7.5", watercolor on Strathmore paper.

No comments: