Wednesday, September 16, 2026

MID-DAY SUN VI, PART 2

 



Spending some time working on the doors helped bring this painting closer to completion. Mostly it was a case of slowly working along each plank adding subtle washes of color and creating interest with some details of the woodgrain etc. There was less of the original red paint left in this area due to the heavier weathering these doors got and I tried to keep the effect random, adding color where I thought would be best. A slightly darker wash was added to the lower part of the shadow on the left as I felt this was a bit too light and I slightly greyed the white strip as I felt it was a bit too bright. The two hinges were detailed along with their shadows, also some smaller cracks and splits were done in the ends of the wooden planks but tried to keep it all understated. I didn’t want to overwork the painting by adding too many details so after stepping back to take a long look, decided to leave it as it was for now. Later, I’ll take it out again and see if there is anything else to do, so far though I was happy with the result. In reflection, I think that perhaps the painting could have been a little more subtle if I had used watercolor instead of acrylic. Anyway, this is something to consider perhaps when I do more in this series. This one was painted on stretched Bockingford watercolor paper, 22 x 15 in, (56 x 38 cm).


No comments: