Saturday, October 26, 2024

MID-DAY MARSH

 


It was late fall when I walked through the marsh close to where we were staying. The grasses had already turned ochre-brown and it was a cold but warming day. Earlier I had sat for awhile sketching then drawing different views looking south before moving on and making studies of this scene. I watched as an approaching Bald Eagle got closer and closer until it flew right over me, through my binoculars I could see that it appeared to be blind in one eye but this didn't seem to bother it - at least not while in flight. It landed in some shallower water and began to bathe. Ducks and geese hastily taking flight as it neared them only to circle around and land back again a little further away.

Looking east, I decided to do a painting looking across a slightly larger expanse of water with small grassy tufts and islands in the distance. The clouds were slowly breaking up and thin patches of blue began to show through. There was an incredible feeling of peace and tranquility within me as I painted, listening to the sound of the wind sighing through the grasses as well as the bird calls nearby as I worked. This to me was how I truly wanted to spend my time, alone in nature doing what I love to do the most.

No comments: