Easing gently into the painting process, I started by adding large washes of color directly over the bricks but leaving some areas a pure white of the paper. The lower arch had some darker washes over the shadowed part which I slowly intensified adding more paint after each layer had dried. I also made a start on the upper arch carefully painting around the old ladder and the plant that had taken root just inside. Some of the gaps between the bricks were lightly indicated with a warm grey while the lower shadowed cracks went in a lot darker. So far so good, next I'll bring the overall tone of the bricks closer to what I had intended then continue refining the upper arch.