Sunday, November 5, 2023

CRAB BASKETS, PART 2

 



Finishing each basket took a while as I was trying to accurately guess the depth and tone of the areas in shadow while keeping the sunlit areas understated. I kept in mind how I first saw this stack of baskets in diffuse sunlight without that much contrast between the lighter and darker areas, and I wanted to have this effect in my painting. I added some almost pure black (mixed from burnt umber and ultramarine blue) to the gaps then refined my drawing of the basket lids which were stacked on top. I think that the drawing for this one is finished now. And I have come up with a close mix of brown that I want to use in the background (as this area is in shadow) so will be adding this next then seeing how that ties in to the painting.

No comments: