Sunday, December 18, 2022

ATLANTIC PUFFIN, PART 2

 


Here is the finished Puffin portrait. Mostly it was a case of darkening the plumage until I was happy with the tones, then I could set about completing the head. I wanted a faint lighter outline around the top of the head so carefully darkened the area above the eye then used the same black to darken the chin. Then on to the cheeks and the lores, which look pure white but are actually a very pale grey (this grey is much more prevalent on younger birds). When I felt that the tones around the head were about right, I started on the bill using layers of an orangish-red for the most part with a brighter orange on the gape and that just about finished the painting. I'll live with it for a few days to see if I need to do anything more but for now, I'm satisfied that I have captured the bird in the way that I wanted. Size is 8 x 10 inches, acrylic on canvas panel.

No comments: