Friday, October 30, 2020

SKETCHBOOK STUDIES 2

 



These studies were done at Mai Po nature reserve in Hong Kong quite a few years ago. Mostly I sketched and painted the few Saunders Gulls that were about but also some Black-headed Gulls.



I did a few watercolor studies too trying all the while to capture their unique characteristics.





These smaller gulls have a certain amount of charm that totally captivated me and I wanted to spend days just working on them!




Later in another part of the reserve, I came across some sleeping Shelducks. This is one of the watercolor studies I did of them.


2 comments:

John Holmes said...

I think you’ve nailed Saunders’ Gull there, Jeremy !

Common Shelduck has become very rare, (climate change ?) there used to be hundreds, now some years none at all.

Jeremy Pearse said...

Thanks John, didn't realize that about Common Shelduck! Pity, seems bird numbers are falling all over.