Saturday, March 29, 2014

FERRUGINOUS HAWK, PART 3


Here I have started laying in washes of burnt sienna to represent the ferruginous color of the back and wing coverts - very exciting! I have also put in some of the darker feathers on the back and started to indicate some of the fine markings of the breast feathers. More work was done to the head, cheek and lores of the bird trying to get a feel for this bird as well as capturing some of the particular characteristics of this species. I also darken the iris slightly. At this point I'm happy that the body is taking on a round shape and seems to have form as well as substance.

2 comments:

john said...

Jeremy,
Ferruginous Hawks are such fascinating birds, very different than the typical buteo. A great subject for a painting. Looks good so far.

Jeremy Pearse said...

John thanks, and it was for the same reasons you just mentioned that inspired me to do this painting.