Monday, October 25, 2010

QUIET SUMMER - LAUGHING GULLS

First I would like to thank everyone who came to the opening of the Autumn Festival on Sunday, we had a great time. It was really nice seeing old friends again, catching up and discussing art. Thanks also to the staff at McBride Gallery for all their hard work to make the show a success.
The gull painting shown above wasn't in the show and is being reserved as one of the paintings for the Waterfowl Festival next month. Like so many of my paintings, this one was started back in the summer and only finished recently. Many gulls finish breeding early and generally loaf around for the rest of the year while their young grow up on their own. These adults were still paired and resting on the beach at Chincoteague when I saw them. I find it best to use my telescope to draw and paint shorebirds as I can be far enough away so that they remain relaxed but can get all the necessary details needed for an accurate painting. Here the seated gull is calling (probably in response to another gull flying overhead) and I liked the arrangement of the two birds. The rear bird in profile has a particularly beautiful shape and reminds me of a jaeger (skua). Gulls are often maligned but Laughing gulls even in winter plumage are still one of my favorites and I love drawing and painting them. This watercolor is 11" X 15".

2 comments:

Carrie Waller Watercolors said...

Great painting. Wish I could have seen your work in person.

Jeremy Pearse said...

Thanks Carrie, I am often amazed at how different paintings look when viewing the originals as opposed to how they look in books etc! I'm sure you have come across this too.