To finish off the painting, I added a few more washes to selective areas darkening some of the woodwork especially at the bottom where the light would be at its weakest. A number of details here and there were tightened up mostly around the cracks in the boards and more texture added to them along with woodgrain without overdoing it. All the framework of the barn featured rough-cut wood with the saw marks still to be seen so this was added being careful not to make this too obvious. I also darkened the window frames slightly noting a certain delicacy to them that I especially like. Finally I added the cobwebs and other details such as the few random bits of straw at the bottom.
To me the wonder of an image such as this is simply the way that the light plays along the main upright and how it in turn, reflects around the rest of the painting. It's a simple thing really but to me very powerful and brings me back again and again to images such as this. The painting is a bit dark here but I feel still captures what I had set out to. This watercolor is 22" X 15".
Studio/Workshop Progress Report - Rafters - Although I'm yet to commence work on the verandah on the northern side of the workshop, the rafters and collar ties have been installed over the workshop a...
15 hours ago