Tuesday, February 26, 2008

DEMO PART 3

Here I have continued by adding more washes of the same colors slowly building up tonal values taking care not to go too dark as it is very difficult to lighten up a watercolor without damaging the purity of previous washes. Quite a lot of time has been spent working on the window frames and the bars, again taking care with the tones as this area will be the center of interest. The sun highlights on the sill are becoming more apparent now along with more of the reflected light and further washes on the inside wall have created more contrast and depth. The sun-lit webs and other highlights are beginning to take on the correct intensity without detracting from the main focus of the painting. I have also started working on the shadow on the right that is cast from the central bar but realise at this time that it has to go quite a lot darker (as has the whole painting). By working slowly and adding many thin washes as opposed to heavier ones, I am more in control to orchestrate the painting the way that I want. It also saves time as it enables me to work without creating too many problems along the way. All along, I keep looking at the painting from time to time searching for problems that may develop and the odd tone out of place. There will not be a lot of color in this work so I'm mainly concerned at this point with getting the values correct. There is also not much texture either but I'll be working on that closer to the completion of the painting.

No comments: