Since moving closer to the city, we have seen Peregrines
around here quite often. As I have mentioned in a few of my earlier blog posts,
they have mostly been seen flying past and occasionally roosting on the top of our
building. After doing a bit of research, I found out that they breed nearby in
the city and apparently, have done so for many years. There is even a website
dedicated to them with 4 live webcams allowing excellent views of the birds which
is especially important during nesting and the raising of their young. They can
also be seen in and around the nearby rooftops. Anyway, a few weeks ago, I was
lying in bed one morning and as it began to get light, I heard a Peregrine
calling close by outside so I thought I had better get up and see if it was
still about. Being that this bird is one of my favorite raptors, imagine my joy
then when I discovered an adult female resting on our balcony and I immediately
began doing sketches of her.
I assumed it was the resident falcon named Bridget and she
remained for a few hours. Since then she has fortunately visited quite often,
usually in the morning for a few hours, occasionally in the afternoon. Since we
have been keeping the blinds closed to help block out the morning sun, we can
still move around inside without disturbing her. At the closest point, she is
only about 2 meters from the window although I usually watch her from slightly
further away. If I slowly move the blind aside I can peer through the gap and
draw for as long as I like. Mostly she remains completely calm, looking around,
preening occasionally and even taking short naps! Of course, all this has meant
that I have been able to get some fantastic reference material and have done
quite a few sketches and drawings in my sketchbook, some of which are shown
here. I’m sure I’ll get around to doing some color studies of her soon, but for
now I am really enjoying her visits. I always feel a pang of regret when she
leaves - it is as if the world has become a slightly lonelier place. All pencil
studies done in my sketchbook, sizes are about 12 x 9 in (30 x 23cm) and 8 x 9
in (20 x 23cm).



No comments:
Post a Comment