Monday, September 16, 2024

OSPREY FEATHER

 


I found this feather when walking by the Christina river a little while ago. I pretty sure it is an osprey's feather, they are regularly seen flying by and diving for fish,  and their nest is not far away downriver. The resident pair used to use a nesting platform set up in the middle of the marsh but this year they opted to nest on the old railway bridge. A month or so ago, I did see three of them in the air at once so I suppose they have been at least partially successful but the area is also covered by a pair of Bald Eagles and they are know to predate Osprey chicks. Perhaps the people in the nearby education center know more about their breeding success, I'll have to ask the next time I'm down that way. Size of this watercolor is 12 x 9 inches.

No comments: