Monday, September 30, 2024

ALONG THE CHRISTINA

 


I painted this scene looking upriver from a viewpoint next to the Rowing Club. The boats are launched from a floating dock which you can see just in front of the building. On this early morning, sunlight illuminates the water and far bank but the foreground is shaded by a large trees that trail over the river. I noticed sunlight filtering through the trees in spots onto the grass and this was an effect that I wanted to included in my painting.



 

Shown above was my initial block-in using thinned oil paint after finalizing the layout and details. I don't always start a painting this way but because of the full range of tones from dark to light in this scene, it helped me better decide how to proceed. Size of this one is 8 x 10 inches, oil on board.

No comments: