Sunday, August 25, 2024

RING-BILLED GULL STUDIES

 


I did these adult Ring-billed Gull studies mainly to contrast the different head patterns in their winter plumage. A few birds have paler marking than the two shown here, conversely some are quite a bit darker but I find these medium-sized gulls very attractive and have done many studies of them ever since I saw them for the first time over 30 years ago.




These studies of first winter birds were done for the same reasons as the adults. I am especially attracted to  them mostly because of the soft-pinkish bill and their dark brown eyes. To me they have a somewhat 'cute' look to them in this plumage and being 3 year gulls, I am still seeing some 2nd year birds around here with pinkish bills although a few are beginning to turn a darker greenish-yellow whereas the irises are getting lighter. Both studies are about 12 x 9 inches, watercolor on paper.

No comments: