Friday, July 27, 2018

GREAT-HORNED OWL, PART 2



After stretching the paper and stapling it to a board, I began the painting by laying in a few warm background washes then let it dry. I'm sure that I'll have to do more to this area later but for now I just wanted a general overall tone so as to better judge the colors of the owl. The eyes were tackled next as I have found that if I can get them right, the rest of the work generally follows along nicely. I used mostly lemon yellow modified with cad yellow and neutral tint for the darks. Neutral tint was also used on the bill along with some cobalt blue. Once I had that working to my satisfaction, I worked on other parts of the head generally feeling my way into the painting and keeping things light for now. I then put the work aside for awhile - I'll try to finish off the head in the next stage.

No comments: