Tuesday, May 26, 2015

YOUNG EAGLE III


Still working on my eagle series of watercolors. This one was painted from a young Bald Eagle, probably about 1 year old. Starting with a relatively detailed pencil drawing that was kept light, a background wash of warm tone was flooded onto the paper. Then it was a case of slowly building up thin washes of color until I felt that I had the essence of the eagle before me. The penetrating stare was a little unnerving but I am sure that I didn't interest the bird quite as much as it interested me! Size is 7" x 5,5" (18cm x 14cm), watercolor on Canson paper.

2 comments:

John Holmes said...

I'd be worried it might peck at my fingers...

Jeremy Pearse said...

Actually this was a very relaxed bird at a rehab center so no worried there. Wish I had had the time to have been able to do more studies of this bird.