Thursday, October 20, 2011

YOUNG BALD EAGLE, PART 2

Here I have laid down a few more washes trying to modulate the form a little and also indicating the shadow of the beak. More color has been applied to the eyes and surrounding areas as well as some cad yellow to the gape. I mixed cerulean blue with a little burnt umber to grey it slightly then applied that to sides of the beak trying to be careful not to go too dark. A slightly darker brown brought in a little more detail to the eyes and under the chin. Letting this dry off, I came back ready to add some details and get the darker tones of the plumage in place. It's all looking a little wishy-washy at the moment but I realise that all paintings go through stages like this so I don't let it bother me too much. I'm keeping my eye on the final image which I hold in my head all the while I am painting. Next - big changes when I lay in the brownish-black tones of the head and get to some of those wonderful details.

No comments: