Friday, May 30, 2008

CLOUDS OVER ANZO BORREGO

I finished this small study yesterday all the time trying to do a quick and loose impression. The result wasn't quite as free as I had hoped - I'm afraid this is about as loose as I get! I had been inspired by a field study completed by another artist so I really went at it this time using thicker paint and larger brushes. It didn't seem to help though and the painting tightened up all by itself (honest). After completing the sky, I worked on the distant mountains and foreground using a smaller brush as there were a number of details that I wanted to include. I used only four colors (plus white); French Ultramarine, Yellow Ochre, Cadmium Red and a little Burnt Umber. I think that it came out just fine and is for me another reminder of the wonderful time I spent in Southern California and Arizona. The oil is 8" X 10".

No comments: