Friday, June 16, 2023

MOUNTAIN SHADOWS

 


While mixing up some paint the other day, I realized that I had too much so wondered what to do with the left over. There was a small canvas panel nearby so I began spreading on the blue adding some white as I went trying to get a graduated sky. The resultant shape suggested a mountain top so I added almost pure titanium white for the snow and started adding in a little burnt umber for the rocks. The shadow followed and the painting progressed from there. Since I had started the work with my palette knife, I decided to do the whole painting using only that instead of brushes as I normally do. I only used two colors and the darker grey is a mix of mostly burnt umber with a little pure cobalt blue added in. This is the first palette knife painting that I have done and for me, was a enjoyable experience. I did learn a lot from doing this one that I'm sure I will be able to use on my next mountain scene. Size is 7 x 5 inches.

No comments: