Wednesday, March 24, 2021

COMMON GRACKLE

 



As their names suggest, Common Grackles are.. well, common - especially around here. They surround the house each morning, feed in the grassy areas nearby and also gather in large flocks out in the bean field opposite us. They have a large communal roost in the marsh behind us so all this means that I see a lot of them. From the top deck I can get really close views of them as they fly into the trees out front and display. Usually there are three or four gathered close to each other and take it in turns to preform calling all the while - quite a racket! They don't seem to bother that I am close by as long as I stay inside so can get lots of sketches and studies done as they go about their daily life. Above is just one of the finished paintings that I have completed trying to capture the lovely iridescence of their plumage as well as their unusual shape and the keel-like tail. Size is 12" x 9", watercolor on Strathmore paper.

No comments: