Tuesday, October 27, 2015

APPROACHING STORM



I saw this scene not far from my home and worked from direct observation - the painting has become one of M's favorites. I wanted very subdued colors with rich tones and feel I did get close to my goal. This small work sat around in the studio for some time and actually only needed a little attention to the foreground and some subtle modulations of tone around the buildings to complete it. I'm really glad I did this one though as the farm and surrounding trees are now all gone due to development. I have been somewhat lucky to have been able to get to a lot of farms in our surrounding areas to do studies and take photos of them before they too were taken down. The finished painting for me represents a changing world - one in which I am not always happy to see progress.
This painting has proved very difficult to photograph though so might have to go back and re-do this one. Size is 8" x 10" (20cm x 26cm), oil on canvas.

4 comments:

Candace X. Moore said...

Nice composition on this, Jeremy. Great job controlling the values and colors, too. Very subtle.

john said...

It is such a shame that rural homesteads and farms are being replaced by ugly suburban sprawl just about everywhere. I love the rich tones of your painting.

Jeremy Pearse said...

Thanks Candace, I'm hoping to do more work of this subject - perhaps something larger.

Jeremy Pearse said...

John thanks for the comments, I too feel very much the same, I'm sure that you have seen much more change than I have but still, I'm glad to have had the chance to capture some of these scenes before they have been bulldozed. I keep driving around and doing studies and taking photos when I can, wish I could become really friendly with some of the farmers as I would love to be able to just explore some of these old farms and surrounding landscape.