Thursday, July 18, 2013

APPROACHING NOON


Finally here is the finished painting! The completion of this work took longer than I had thought it would and there are still a few areas that I'll probably work on over the next few days. I'll also try and post a slightly better photo as this one came out a little blotchy showing more texture than there is in the actual painting. Finally I am feeling a sense of completion as I slowly work through some of the many unfinished paintings here in the studio. Another one was finished off just yesterday and will post pics of that one soon. There are also a few new paintings on the go as well so expect to see them coming up here in the not too distant future. 'Approaching Noon', watercolor on Fabriano paper, 30" X 22".

3 comments:

john said...

A fascinating composition Jeremy. Simple, clean lines and a very unconventional perspective. Such a design would be beyond my limited understanding of composition.
I look forward to seeing your new artwork.

John Holmes said...

I feel like I'm standing outside the temple.

As first commenter John said, interesting composition.

Jeremy Pearse said...

Thanks John (and John H) for your comments. As to the perspective, I perhaps should have explained it a little in one of the posts. With this painting, I didn't want a conventional view looking directly at the temple, my interest was with the sunlight and the way it cast interesting shapes and shadows - especially inside the little courtyard. I wanted to focus on the large glazed pot (within which paper money etc is burnt), and the surrounding shapes, shadows and tones. Also the differing shades of the outside walls both in and out of sunlight. This was the main reason I left so much of the building on the right - to help emphasize the sense of strong sunlight hitting the scene. The ridgeline of the roof was also quite nicely decorated but I cropped it out as I didn't want the distraction of it taking away from my initial idea. I find that I spend a lot of time thinking of what it is I really want from each painting and so edit what I have in terms of references/sketches etc until I am happy.