Thursday, May 6, 2010

MORNING LIGHT - ANZO BORREGO


Occasionally a painting comes back to the studio perhaps on its way to another gallery and this often gives me a chance to take another look at the work to see if I can make any improvements - such was the case with this one. Painted in a somewhat high key, I kept the colors light and bright just as I remembered them to be. The main focus is on the bushes and trees in the middleground and initially I had more foreground showing but felt that this was somewhat distracting. Since this didn't do much for the composition, I cut about two inches off the bottom and felt an immediate improvement. The sky as I remembered at that time was mostly clear and the clouds that I had put in initially were I felt a little weak so I made them a bit more obvious (although this is not so clear in the photo here). I also worked on the bushes slightly cleaning them up and adding a little more contrast to the shadowed side. And that was about it - no major reworking necessary! For me the pleasure in looking at paintings like this comes from the memories they evoke of travelling to SoCal and Arizona. The trip had a lasting impression on me and I'm sure I'll be painting more landscapes from the area. Morning light is an oil on canvas, size 7" X 14".

4 comments:

Flarfje said...

I like your style! I'll follow you!
Please followme @ http://justflirtingwithtime.blogspot.com/

Steve Gibson said...

Good job on the overall composition and the sky looks just right!

Jeremy Pearse said...

Thanks Bart, I'll be happy to follow you too.

Jeremy Pearse said...

Hi Steve and thanks for the comments, glad that the changes I made to the painting seemed to have worked!