Monday, August 4, 2008

EVENING AT PITT MEADOWS


One of the places I spent some time wandering around and painting while in Vancouver was Pitt Meadows. I had visited there during my last trip and the surrounding landscape with tall trees, open water and distant mountains inspired a number of paintings. Some of the most spectacular scenes were seen late one evening when the light was raking across the landscape. This study came out of what I saw and experienced there. I kept it small and loose as I want to finish a larger painting similar to this later in the week. The study taught me a lot about what I was trying to capture and from it I will better be able to completer the larger painting. Although I brought my watercolor box and sketchbooks, I really wished that I had my oils on this trip as it would have been wonderful to work set up with my easel along the dyke. There was so much to see, I could have painted there for weeks!

No comments: